Private Tutor in Maths, Physics, chemistry
For Year 5-9, Sign up for our weekly worksheet sets. $500 for Term 1. Consists of video lecture, personalised worksheet, personal feedback, ask question 24/7, and video solution.
John’s Academy Private Tuition Information
All tuition is done online through ZOOM(Meeting ID : 880 880 0808). In terms of experience, online tuition is no different from face-to-face sessions if 1:1 or small class (less than 5 students). All of our students find online tuition very interactive, fun, and engaging and no different from meeting in person, if not better. We use digital whiteboard to teach(like Khan Academy) and lessons can be recorded if requested(student voice and camera not recorded). Schools did online teaching during lockdowns but due to large class size (more than 10), students tend to often stay quiet by turning off their camera and microphone, making teaching worse off than traditional classroom. Our online teaching is far from this sort of disaster.
There are 5 ways to learn from John. You may have any combination of them.
1. Individual 1:1 private tuition (Year 5-Year 12, University)
2. Join Small Group Tutoring (Year 7-Year 12, University)
3. Self-paced Online Courses on John’s Academy website (https://johnsacademy.com.au/courses/ )
4. Short Online Courses often in Term Breaks (e.g https://johnsacademy.com.au/algebra-master-class/ or https://johnsacademy.com.au/year-11-holiday-course/)
5. Receive worksheets, submit answers, receive feedback and/or video solutions
What/How We Teach
We specialise in teaching Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. Students can best learn these subjects ONLY by doing lots of problem solving on their own. However, before they can do that, they need to learn concepts. We focus on these two aspects; we not only teach concepts but also go through lots of example questions, we also let students to try questions on their own and assign homework questions and worksheets.
However, most students only take 1 or 2 hours of tuition per week. Time is too limited and many students often need more hours of personal support from their tutors to achieve effective learning. We solve this issue through the following 3 ways.
1. Self-paced Online Courses: Most of Year 11, 12 contents in Maths, Physics and Chemistry are available through John’s website. Online courses contain lecture recordings, worksheets and worksheet solutions. They can be purchased at a fraction of cost of 1:1 private tuition. For example, a Year 12 physics course(https://johnsacademy.com.au/courses/physic-year-12-intensive-course-2019-20 ) which contains 16 hours of lectures($1440 if done 1:1) is available at $300. With the online course, they can learn contents on their own and focus their tuition time on problem solving.
2. WhatsApp Messenger: Students are encouraged to ask questions to John by sending message 24/7. John always carries pen and paper and can quickly respond to students question so they can move on to other questions rather than stuck with one particular question. Sometimes being stuck and working on their own is good for students because through this process they are growing their brain muscle and improving their problem-solving skill. So we don’t just give away the solution but rather make them think.
3. John’s Academy Worksheets : We provide our custom made highly efficient worksheets to students. During tuition, often we can only cover a few example questions. However, students may require working out of many more questions before they can start to solve them on their own. Therefore, for each worksheet, full video solution is available at a fraction of the cost of 1:1 tuition. (e.g. https://johnsacademy.com.au/courses/worksheet-chain-rule/).
1:1 tuition fee is $90/hr. Regular group sessions are between $40 and $50. We accept 4 lesson fees upfront in advance. If 10 lessons are paid upfront in advance, we provide 5% discount. Price for self-paced courses, live online courses, and worksheets are advertised on each course page on our website.
You can pay either by direct transfer or by PayPal through our website.
Our Achievements in Canberra
Learn Any New Concept
You can Learn Anything
CEO & Founder, Instructor
John is currently a Lecturer and Senior Investment Analyst at the Australian National University. He is a theoretical physicist and authored a number of journals in the field of Quantum Criticality. John has always had a passion in teaching and developing teaching techniques. He always strives to give the best learning experience to all his students. With his unique teaching method, he can communicate complex concept in simple terms.